About Tom’s Carnivores
Hello! My name’s Tom, and I run Tom’s Carnivores here at www.carnivorousplants.co.uk.
Whether you’re a long-time greenhouse grower or simply curious about carnivorous plants, Tom’s Carnivores has something for you. On my blog you can expect to read species profiles, grower interviews, cultivation advice, and articles documenting my visits to many world-famous nurseries, private collections, and botanic gardens. I’ve also published guides to some of my favourite genera and growing setups.
This website also serves as an online shop for my small nursery. I sell very limited quantities of rare and beautiful Nepenthes pitcher plants, raised for sale in my personal greenhouse.
I live in the east of England with my wife, two cats, and lots of plants. I work full time as web developer in digital marketing, but have grown carnivorous plants in some capacity for over 15 years. Tom’s Carnivores is my attempt to create a valuable resource for today’s growers, while also enabling fellow enthusiasts to buy new plants for their collection.
Buying from Tom’s Carnivores
I update my list of sales plants regularly. You can view current availability on my shop.
- Delivery to a UK address costs £6, or free for orders over £70. I send plants to UK addresses with either Royal Mail Signed For 1st Class or Special Delivery. Delivery to the EU via signed courier costs £12.
- I usually dispatch plants the Monday following receipt of your order. I operate my nursery in my spare time alongside a day job, so during busy periods it may take me a little longer.
- My checkout provider accepts all major credit cards, with secure payment being taken via PayPal or Stripe.
- Once you’ve placed your order, you’ll receive a confirmation email. A tracking number will follow once your order has been dispatched.
- I only dispatch orders when the weather is suitable - pitcher plants are susceptible to extremes of hot and cold, so I rarely dispatch in winter.
- I guarantee live arrival of all plants.
- I’m also interested in trades for rare or unusual specimens - please get in touch if you’d like to discuss a swap.
- Any questions, please get in touch via email. Thanks!
If you enjoy Tom’s Carnivores and want to stay up-to-date, you can subscribe via email - you’ll receive a notification whenever I publish a new article on my blog, or have new plants available on the shop.
If you live outside of the UK or aren’t interested in buying plants, it’s easy to opt-out of plant sales and instead receive blog notifications only. You can unsubscribe with one click at any time. Your information will never be shared or sold to a 3rd party.
Alternatively, you can keep up-to-date with the blog using this RSS feed in your preferred reader or aggregator.
If you’ve got a question about the website or have an idea for a new guide, you can get in touch via email.
Please note that due to the huge volume of email I receive, I’m not always able to reply to questions about cultivation.
I occasionally get requests from companies who’d like me to review their products on my blog. Assuming the product or service is relevant to my audience I’m happy to oblige, on the following conditions:
- If the item is provided for free, or loaned for a trial period, I will declare this in the review.
- All reviews are editorially impartial and I don’t accept any payment. That said, I’m happy to provide a preview of my article before it’s published so that any criticisms I’ve made can be addressed right away.
Simple as that! If that sounds okay, please do get in touch via email.
The logo for Tom’s Carnivores is a painting of the tropical pitcher plant Nepenthes veitchii which I commissioned in 2017. It was painted by Alex Fritz, an extremely talented artist based in Spain who grows carnivorous plants himself.